skip to main content

About special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

All children in Herefordshire should have a good start in life and be safe. Children with special educational needs or a disability may need extra help and support to make the most of educational and learning opportunities. The local offer sets out what support and help is available for your child or young person if they have special educational needs or a disability.

Special Educational Needs (SEN) is a legal term. It describes the needs of a child or young person who has a difficulty or disability which makes it harder for them to learn than the majority of others of the same age.

A disability is a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long term negative effect on a person's ability to do normal daily activities. Not all children and young people with a disability have SEN but there is often an overlap.

When children and young people have either or both SEN and a disability it can affect their learning and education. You can read more in the SEND Guide for parents and carers or in the Mencap easy read guide.

Schools, colleges, early years and other settings can help most children and young people overcome their difficulties  quickly and easily and support them to learn. 

Herefordshire Council has published guidance  to help schools and other educational settings in Herefordshire meet the needs of children and young people  with SEND. It outlines the 'plan-do-review' to assessing, supporting and reviewing children and young people's needs and progress.

You can find details of the provision which each educational setting makes for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) on their websites. Information about each school, including website, can be found in Herefordshire Council's school directory

A few will need more help than their school or college can usually provide and the parent/carer or setting can request the local council to carry out an education, health and care needs assessment. For more information about this assessment please visit the EHCP page.

What to do if you are concerned about your child's development

If you are concerned about any aspect of your child's development it is important to speak to someone as soon as possible - parents are usually the first to notice any difficulties. You  could speak to your doctor, health visitor, or if your child attends childcare, you could speak to their key person. If your child has started school and you do not feel they are making the educational progress that they should be, you should talk to your child’s class teacher, the school’s special needs coordinator or head teacher.

Find Services