skip to main content

Housing related support


Housing related support schemes help people in Herefordshire live as independently as possible within their own communities.  The two types of support available within the county are accommodation based support and floating support.

These schemes are mainly delivered by registered social housing providers, better known as housing associations, so therefore don’t include any personal care, such as getting out of bed, washing, bathing or taking medication.

Accommodation based support

This type of scheme provides housing and support together in a combined, tailored package to meet an individual’s assessed needs.  Some schemes are long term, designed for people who need ongoing support to live independently, others are provided on a shorter term basis for up to two years.

This type of short term accommodation based support is designed to help vulnerable people develop the emotional and practical skills they’ll need to be able to move into ordinary housing.  It can include support with:

  • Developing daily living skills
  • Accessing education, training and employment
  • Managing debt and benefits
  • Health needs, such as mental health issues, drug or alcohol use

Floating support

This type of scheme provides a support worker who will offer tailored support, similar to that listed above, in an individual’s own home in order to meet their assessed needs and help them continue living independently.

The different types of housing related support schemes in Herefordshire will have differing eligibility criteria, depending upon the residents they’re designed to support.  All participating residents will be expected to engage with the support provider, in order to gain the skills and confidence needed to successfully live independently.

To find out more about housing related support in Herefordshire and who may be eligible, visit Herefordshire Council’s housing section.