skip to main content

Education, Health and Care Plans

Many children and young people need extra support at some point during their time in education. For most children and young people, schools and settings will be able to adapt the curriculum and approach to teaching in order to meet individual needs. This support is funded from existing school budgets and is part of what is ordinarily available to all children and young people.

However, some children and young people will need more support than their peers and may benefit from having an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). In this case, an education, health and care needs assessment must take place to determine whether an EHCP is needed.

What is an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP)?

An Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP) is a legal document which describes a child or young person’s (aged up to 25) special educational needs, the support they need, and the outcomes they would like to achieve.

The special educational provision described in an EHC plan must be provided by the child or young person’s local authority. This means an EHC plan can give a child or young person extra educational support. It can also give parents and young people more choice about which school or other setting the child or young person can attend.

To find out more about education, health and care plans, how to request an assessment, the assessment process and how to challenge a decision, please visit Herefordshire Council's website.

Council for Disabled Children: What is an EHC plan?


What is included in an EHCP?

EHCPs include 12 sections:
A - the views, interests and aspirations of the parents or carers and the child or young person
B - the child or young person's special educational needs (SEN)
C - health needs related to their SEN or disability
D - social care needs related to their SEN or disability
E - planned outcomes for the child or young person
F - special educational provision - this must meet the needs identified in section B
G - health provision
H1 - social care provision that must be made for the child or young person
H2 - any other social care provision related to their SEN or disability
I - the name or type of school or setting
J - details of any personal budget
K - advice and information from the EHC needs assessment


Additional information 

  • IPSEA (Independent Provider of Special Education Advice) offer free and independent legally based information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with SEND.

  • SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service) offer impartial and confidential support for parents and carers of children and young people aged up to 25, with SEND.

  • The Department for Education and Special Needs Jungle have produced a helpful flowchart to help families better understand EHC plans.

Disclaimer: Talk Community Directory has only carried out limited checks on the information providers submit to the website, for example to confirm it's in the appropriate format and all required fields have been completed. Therefore it isn't in a position to know if providers are qualified, licensed or able to meet the needs of individuals, it is the responsibility of each individual to assess if a provider is suitable. Whilst we regularly review our content to try and ensure it is accurate and up to date, we can't guarantee that the information supplied by providers is always current. View full disclaimer