skip to main content

Education, health and care plans

Your child's school, college or educational setting can do quite a lot to support your child's individual needs and already have funding in their budget for this purpose.  However, if your child is not making the expected progress after this input, you should consider if a statutory assessment of their education, health and care (EHC) needs is required.

To find out more about education, health and care plans, how to request an assessment, the assessment process and how to challenge a decision, please visit Herefordshire Council's website.

Additional information 

  • IPSEA (Independent Provider of Special Education Advice) is a national charity, which provide free and independent information, advice and support to help children and young people with SEND obtain the right education.

  • SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service) offer impartial and confidential support for parents and carers of children and young people aged up to 25, with SEND.

  • The Department for Education and Special Needs Jungle have produced a helpful flowchart to help families better understand EHC plans.

Council for Disabled Children: What is an EHC plan?