skip to main content

Disabled students' allowance (Higher Education)

Your school or college should help you to plan for your transition to higher education by providing information about your options and support to move on to your next phase of education. 

If you have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), this will cease when you leave further education and go into higher education. It may be helpful for you to share your EHCP with the higher education establishment you are applying to. You can contact Herefordshire's SEN Team to arrange for your EHCP to be sent to your new university or higher education establishment.

Disabled Students' Allowance

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is support to cover the study-related costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

This can be on its own or in addition to any student finance you get.

The type of support and how much you get depends on your individual needs - not your household income.


Once your eligibility for DSA is confirmed, Student Finance England may ask you to contact an assessment centre to work out what help you need.

This is known as a needs assessment. Do not book this until Student Finance England asks you to. The assessment is paid for through any DSA entitlement you may have.

After the assessment, you’ll get a report listing equipment and other support you can get for your course.

For further information about the disabled students' allowance, please visit the government website.