skip to main content

Disabled students' allowance


As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a:

• Disability
• Long-term health condition
• Mental health condition
• Specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia

The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.


Once your eligibility for DSA is confirmed, Student Finance England will ask you to contact an assessment centre to work out what help you need. This is known as a needs assessment. Don’t book this until Student Finance England asks you to. The assessment is paid for through any DSA entitlement you may have. After the assessment, you’ll get a report listing equipment and other support you can get for your course.
For further information about the disabled students' allowance, please visit the government website: