skip to main content

Children with speech, language and communication difficulties (0 - 4 years old)

Speech and language toolkit

If you want to support your child’s speech, language and communication development, take a look at the free speech and language toolkit.

Most children who have delayed speech and language attend their local childcare provision. Support and training is available for the setting from Herefordshire Council's early years advisory team and from your child's speech and language therapist (if they have one).

If your child is attending speech therapy sessions, it is really important to share this information with your child's childcare provider. It would also be useful for staff to see copies of reports and therapy plans as they can then make sure your child is working on developing their speech and language at the setting too. If you have any concerns about your child's speech and language development it is important to speak to someone about it as early as possible. You can speak to your health visitor or GP about making a referral for speech therapy.

The speech and language therapy service at Wye Valley NHS Trust provides assessment and intervention for children and young people with speech, language, voice, communication and feeding or swallowing difficulties. This is to reduce the impact of these difficulties on their wellbeing and their ability to participate in their everyday lives.

Child Development Centre - Talk Talk group

Children within their pre-school year whose language is severely delayed or disordered can access this specialist group provided within a communication friendly environment. Access to the group is through a referral from the appropriate agencies. The group provides intensive intervention to meet needs arising from the child's specific speech and language difficulties.

Children will be assessed formally and informally and reviewed termly by the speech and language therapist and class teacher in conjunction with parents. The child's transition into school will be supported through the group in liaison with pre-schools, schools and parents. You can find out more about the Talk Talk group in their leaflet.

The language group criteria is on the council's website.


Visit the council's early years support for children with speech, language and communication difficulties section to see how the people working with your child will work to identify and support these difficulties. You will also find helpful resources you can use with your child.

ICAN is a national charity for speech, language and communication needs and can provide additional support and guidance.

You can also download information about speech, language and communication needs from the council's website.

Find services

Disclaimer: Talk Community Directory has only carried out limited checks on the information providers submit to the website, for example to confirm it's in the appropriate format and all required fields have been completed. Therefore it isn't in a position to know if providers are qualified, licensed or able to meet the needs of individuals, it is the responsibility of each individual to assess if a provider is suitable. Whilst we regularly review our content to try and ensure it is accurate and up to date, we can't guarantee that the information supplied by providers is always current. View full disclaimer