skip to main content

Children with autism (5 - 16 years old)

Schools and colleges can help most children and young people with autism overcome their difficulties and support them to learn.  A few will need more help than their school or college can usually provide and more specialist support may be needed.

Herefordshire Council maintain two specialist resource bases to support school aged children with autism.  To attend one of these bases, a child will need to have both an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan and match the entry criteria, which is primarily that the child is able to access mainstream lessons with a high level of flexible support.

Primary school age: Hampton Dene Primary School, Hereford

The Language and Communication Centre at Hampton Dene Primary School offers the opportunity for children diagnosed with autism or severe speech, language and communication difficulties, to achieve the very best that they can, in a mainstream school environment suited to their individual needs. 

Secondary school age: Bishop of Hereford's Bluecoat School, Hereford

The Bridge Resource Base at The Bishop of Hereford's Bluecoat School offers specialist support for older children with autism.

Outreach support: Hampton Dene Primary School, Hereford

Hampton Dene also provide a free autism outreach provision to other local primary and secondary schools on behalf of the council.  To access the service, please contact Hampton Dene Primary School directly. 

Additional national support

The following organisations can provide a range of extra support for you and your child.

 Local services