skip to main content

Healthcare Services for Children with SEND

If you have any concerns about your child's health then you should make an appointment with your GP to discuss them.  If you are referred to a specialist, there is often a diagnostic pathway (a process map) to guide you through the process. 

There are a number of different specialist health teams working with children in Herefordshire and you can find more information about these teams below.

The Children's Community Nurses (CCN) provide nursing care to children from birth to 18 years old, who have an identified nursing need and are registered with a Herefordshire GP. This extends to the age of 19 years old for young people in specialist educational settings.

Care is provided to enable children and young peoples' acute and complex health needs to be managed in their own homes, schools and respite centres.

The service may also include providing families with specialist equipment, guidance and education in medical/nursing procedures and signposting families to other services. The team provides support around transitional care into adult health services.

Find out more on the Children's Community Nursing website.

The Children's Hearing Centre is a multi-disciplinary team consisting of senior audiologists, clinical scientists, audiology assistants, school hearing screeners and administrative support. They provide a family friendly service for all children from birth to 16 years of age.  They work with families to provide an accessible service and provide early identification, assessment and treatment for children of all ages and abilities.  The Children's Hearing Centre work closely with our colleagues in the Newborn Hearing Screening Programme, Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) Department, Paediatricians, Adult Audiology Team and the Education Support Service for hearing impaired children (ToHI).

Find out more on the Children's Hearing Service website.

Occupational Therapy is a healthcare profession that supports people with their day to day life. This includes everything they need, have and want to do. For example, for children this may be washing, dressing, tying shoe laces or doing buttons

Occupational Therapists will evaluate the person, environment and the occupation (activity), to find ways to help make day to day tasks easier. This could be achieved through a variety of interventions including improving hand skills, gross motor skills, providing strategies and advice or prescribing specialist equipment. 

Find out more on the Children's Occupational Therapy in Herefordshire website.

Paediatric physiotherapy (Children’s Physiotherapy) is a specialist community physiotherapy service for babies, children and young people living in Herefordshire.  Children’s physiotherapists have additional knowledge and experience of child development and childhood disabilities. 

Children’s physiotherapists are responsible for the assessment and physical rehabilitation of children and young people who are identified as having difficulties with the development of gross motor skills and mobility as a result of accident, injury, disease or disability.  They also see children with specific conditions such as Cystic Fibrosis, Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, gait anomalies and life-limiting conditions. 

Children’s’ physiotherapists use a variety of tools to assess a child’s physical needs and their level of functioning.  Physiotherapy treatment plans are created in discussion with  parents/carers and children. 

Find out more on the Children's Physiotherapy in Herefordshire website.

The Community Paediatricians are a small, specialised team providing a consultant-led service dedicated to improving the health and well-being of children, young people and their families.

They deliver a high-quality service to families with children suffering from developmental disorders and disabilities, children in need of protection and children in care. They also support children with life limiting conditions within the family.

You may be seen in the Child Development Centre, a community hospital,  children's centre or special school. The doctors will see you in the most appropriate place depending upon your address and your child's condition. Home visits are available in special circumstances. To access the service, you need a referral from your GP, health visitor, school nurse or social worker.

Find out more on the Community Paediatricians website.

Speech and Language Therapists and assistants work with children and adults across the county of Herefordshire.  Speech and Language Therapy provides life-improving treatment, tailored support and care for people of all ages who have difficulties with communication, eating, drinking or swallowing. The team work together with children, adults, families, carers and the wider workforce to carry out assessments and plan personalised therapy programmes which meet each individual’s needs.

Find out more on the Speech and Language Therapy website.

The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) in Herefordshire provides specialist mental health services for children and young people up to 18 years old and supports their families/carers. To be referred into the Herefordshire CAMHS service, children and young people should live in Herefordshire and be registered with a GP in the county. This includes children and young people with a diagnosed learning disability.

CAMHS are an NHS service that supports children and young people who experience emotional and mental health difficulties such as:

  • Problems with relationships (with family, carers, or at school)
  • Feeling depressed, anxious, self-harming or problems with eating
  • Experiencing traumatic event(s) in their lives which is affecting them emotionally

Find out more on the CAMHS website.

If your child is living with a significant or complex health need that requires care over an extended period, you may be eligible to receive NHS continuing healthcare or NHS-funded nursing care. To find out more, contact Herefordshire's Continuing Healthcare team on 01432 383359 or go to NHS continuing healthcare.

You can find details of Herefordshire GP surgeries, dentists, pharmacies and many other services on the NHS website.


If you are dissatisfied with your treatment from a health service provider in Herefordshire, you have the right to complain directly to them.  Please visit the complaints about health and social care page for further information on how to complain and support available.