skip to main content

Universal health services for all children

If you need health advice or treatment for your child, universal health services can be used by everyone in Herefordshire. You do not need an assessment or referral to use them but you may need to make an appointment.



As qualified healthcare professionals, pharmacists can offer clinical advice and over-the-counter medicines for a range of minor illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains.

If symptoms suggest it's something more serious, pharmacists have the right training to make sure you get the help you need. For example they will tell you if you need to see a GP, nurse or other healthcare professional.

Find your local pharmacist.

NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Contact NHS 111 online or call 111 to talk to someone on the phone. 

General practitioners (GPs) treat all common medical conditions and refer patients to hospitals and other medical services for urgent and specialist treatment.

Before you make an appointment to see your GP, think about other services that might be able to help.

Find your local GP Surgery.

Children and young people do not have to pay for NHS dental services if they are under 18, or under 19 and in full time education.

Find your local NHS dentist.

You'll usually need a GP referral to access hospital treatment, except in an emergency.

Before your appointment, you'll receive a letter, email or text message from the hospital that includes everything you need to know about your appointment.

Find a local hospital.