skip to main content

Emergency help for carers

Older couple walking their dog

If you’re a carer, you probably often worry about what will happen to the person you care for, if you’re taken ill or there’s an emergency.  Therefore, it’s imperative that you have a contingency plan in place for you and the person you care for, so others can step in to help, if needed.

If your caring role is having an impact upon your own health, it’s important for you to speak to your GP at the earliest opportunity, to ensure the correct help is in place, for both you and the person you care for.  Remember to let the GP know that you’re a carer!  There are also carer support organisations and carer respite options available, if you need to have a break from your caring role. 

Local advice and support

Crossroads Together offer practical support to help you in your caring role, including through their free CarerLinks Herefordshire information and advice service.

Herefordshire Carers offer a free Carers Emergency Card scheme, which ensures that in the event of an accident or being taken ill, the person you care for will still be looked after in your absence.

Herefordshire Council offer both a care assessment and a carer's assessment, which can incorporate contingency planning.  You can request either assessment by contacting the Advice and Referral Team on 01432 260101 or

West Mercia Police offer The Herbert Protocol Safe and Found Scheme, which is aimed at vulnerable people who may potentially wander off or go missing, such as those living with dementia.  You’ll need to download and complete a form, which contains information to help the police, if the person you care for goes missing, such as medication required, mobile numbers, places previously located and a recent photograph.

National advice and support

Carers UK provide useful information about planning for emergencies and how to create an emergency plan.

Marie Curie offer information on what to do if you become ill, including advice on making an emergency plan and having a back-up carer.

If you’re concerned that a child or adult may be at risk of harm or neglect, please visit our concerned about someone page.