Win, don't bin with food waste action week
09 March 2023
Food waste action week is here and this year’s theme is ‘Win. Don’t Bin’, focusing on the the little wins that come with correctly storing and using up leftover freshly cooked meals. The campaign shines a light on how valuable food is in our lives, how it unites people and how using up everything we buy saves money, time and the planet.
Take a look at Love Food Hate Waste’s short quiz on their website, where you can get tailored advice on how you can save time and money by reducing waste.
If you’re interested in learning more about reducing food waste at home – come along to the cost of living event taking place this weekend at Ledbury Rugby Football Club on Saturday 11th March, where you can get tips and advice on how to reduce waste and make your food go further.
There are some other fantastic initiatives working hard both locally and nationally to reduce food waste:
- St Martins Foodshare in Hereford distribute surplus food over three different sites each week, as well as running a community fridge at Saxon Hall.
- St Martins also run a weekly café with surplus food.
- Too good to go is an app which lets you ‘rescue unsold food from an untimely fate’ and get a surprise bag of goodies for a 1/3 of the price.
- If you are keen to support your local food bank, the free ‘Bank the food’ app helps communicate with donors what is most in need, by regularly updating their real time needs to their local community
- If you’re looking for more inspiration visit the Talk Community Directory, where you will find both recipe cards and leftover recipe ideas.
- Sign the Herefordshire Food Charter and join the movement for good sustainable food in Herefordshire, or keep in touch .