Ready or not…Here comes winter!
22 October 2020
The leaves may have just begun to fall, but now is the perfect time to make sure your home is ready for winter!
There’s lots of simple changes you can make in and around your home, which can make a big difference to your comfort, health and energy bills, as it gets colder.
- Check your boiler is working properly: Make sure everything is working properly now, before the temperatures drop and you really need it! If you’re having problems, the advisors at Keep Herefordshire Warm may be able to help you with funding towards getting a boiler replacement.
- Turn your thermostat down: Turning your heating down by just one degree, can reduce your heating bill by up to 10%, which will save you around £85 a year (although be sure to put your health first!). Try to heat your living spaces to at least 21°C and maintain around 18°C elsewhere in your home, to protect against winter illnesses.
- Programme your heating: Ensure you have a programmable thermostat and that you use it! If you set your heating to come on 15 to 30 minutes before you need it and switch it off half an hour before you leave or go to bed, you’ll be heating your home much more affordably.
- Make sure you’re well insulated: You lose a third of your heating through the walls of your home, so insulating them is one of the best ways to save energy. Installing cavity wall and loft insulation could reduce your bills by £225 a year. There’s also Government grants available this winter, which can help you top up your insulation, so now’s the time to act!
- Stop overpaying for your energy: If you haven’t switched energy supplier in a while, chances are you’re now on a more expensive tariff. It doesn’t take long to compare gas and electricity prices, to ensure you’re on the cheapest tariff for you, and it could save you hundreds of pounds every year.
- Draught-proof your home: Try to block out as many draughts as you can, starting with door frames, letterboxes, windows, loft hatches and floorboards. Fully draught-proofing your home could save an average of £55 a year, which will help keep you cosy indoors, whilst the wind whistles outside!
Depending upon your personal circumstances, Keep Herefordshire Warm may be able to help you access grant funding for efficiency improvements…
No central heating? If you’re still relying on electric or solid fuel heating, you may be entitled to a free central heating system.
Struggling to keep on top of your energy bills? Have a chat with Keep Herefordshire Warm’s Energy Advocate on 0800 677 1432, who will be able to advise on this winter’s emergency energy credit options.
Broken boiler? You might be eligible to receive a free replacement.
Does your home get cold quickly? You could be entitled to financial assistance to help cover the cost of cavity wall or loft insulation.
Coping with a reduced income? You may now be eligible for grant funding towards home improvements, which will keep you warmer this winter.
If you’d like to find out more about staying warm and healthy in your home, regardless of whether you’re a tenant or a homeowner, Keep Herefordshire Warm can offer free information, advice and support to help you reduce your costs this winter. Give the friendly team a call on 0800 677 1432 or visit www.keepherefordshirewarm.co.uk.
Information source: Keep Herefordshire Warm (a partnership between Herefordshire Council and Severn Wye Energy Agency)