Types of care homes
There are also a number of housing options available which can support you to live independently in accommodation that suits you better, and still gives you your own front door, such as sheltered housing. See our Housing and accommodation section for details.
However, one of the biggest decisions you may have to make is to move into a care home. There are a number of care homes in Herefordshire providing residential care or nursing care.
Residential homes are for people over the age of 18 that are no longer able to live independently at home.
- They are for people who have social emotional, mental health and/or personal care needs and who can no longer manage in their own homes.
- They are supported by care staff, 24 hours a day.
- They can offer high dependency care for people who have moving and handling needs, for example, needing a hoist.
- They can provide care for conditions such as stroke or loss of mobility, dementia, mental illness and physical or learning disabilities.
- They can sometimes provide short term places for people recovering from a hospital stay or illness or to give the person who cares for them a break from their caring responsibilities. Care in a residential home is provided by care staff, available 24 hours a day, with support from district nurses
- Nursing homes are suitable for people who may need the same support as that provided in a residential home but also need nursing care.
- Nursing homes are supported by qualified nursing staff 24 hours a day. They are different to residential homes, where care is provided by care staff with support from district nurses.
- Nursing homes are suitable for people who have social, emotional, mental health and/or personal care needs, but who also need nursing care and are unable to manage in their own home.
- If there is a possibility you may need partial or full nursing care, the NHS will carry out a nursing care assessment, usually before you move in. Visit NHS Choices for further information about NHS funded nursing care.
For information about paying for care in a care home please visit Herefordshire Council's website.