skip to main content

Getting health and medical advice and treatment


There are a number of different ways you can obtain health and medical advice and treatment in Herefordshire, depending upon what you need.

If it's an emergency and someone is seriously ill, injured or their life is at risk, always call 999.

Choosing the right way to receive treatment is important to help ensure you get seen and treated in the most appropriate way.  Wye Valley Trust have produced a handy guide. You can download a copy of the Guide to healthcare services in Herefordshire (print version).

Local support

Accident and Emergency (A&E) is based at Hereford County Hospital and is for life threatening emergencies and care only.  If you need assistance and it's not an emergency, please contact your nearest community pharmacy, GP, Minor Injury Unit or NHS 111.

Community pharmacies have trained medical professionals who can provide free advice on the best treatment for a wide range of illnesses and minor ailments, such as aches and pains, colds, diarrhoea, hay fever, head lice, teething and verrucas.  You can find your nearest pharmacy on the NHS website.

Dental Access Centres can offer urgent assistance for emergency dental problems.  Find your nearest centre on the Wye Valley NHS Trust website.

GP surgeries treat all common medical conditions and can also refer you to hospitals and other medical services for urgent and specialist treatment.  In Herefordshire, GP appointments are available seven days a week via Taurus Healthcare or you can access GP services online via the NHS website.  If you're not registered with a local GP, you'll need to do this before you can access GP services.  Find out how to register, including if you're homeless, an asylum seeker or refugee or from the gypsy, traveller and Roma community, on the NHS website.

Minor Injury Units can help with a range of ailments and injuries, such as burns, emergency contraception, minor head injuries and simple breaks.  Find details for the county's three units in Ledbury, Leominster and Ross-on-Wye on the Wye Valley NHS Trust website.

National support

NHS 111 can help you with medical advice and services, when it's not an emergency, but you're not sure what to do or where to go.  The service is available online at or by calling 111.  If you have a hearing problem, you can use the NHS 111 British Sign Language (BSL) Service.

The NHS provide information and advice on a wide range of health conditions, medicines, treatments and general health and wellbeing.  They can also help you find pharmacies, dentists, GP services and other care services.


Did you know...

If you have any comments, concerns or feedback regarding local health services, you can record these on the Healthwatch Herefordshire website.